LoraHatesSpam

Lora Hates Spam

My rants and reviews

Tales in Time: The Man Who Walked Home and Other Stories
Peter Crowther, Robert Silverberg, Harlan Ellison, Ray Bradbury, Lewis Padgett, Garry Douglas Kilworth, James Tiptree Jr., Charles de Lint, Spider Robinson, Jack Finney, L. Sprague de Camp, Brian W. Aldiss, H.G. Wells
Progress: 27/284pages
Books of Blood, Vols. 1-3
Clive Barker
Progress: 98/507pages

Vampire - In the Beginning

Vampire - In the Beginning - Charmain Marie Mitchell

by Charmann Marie Mitchell

This is novella length and told in first person. A female vampire who has lived over 500 years has become weary of life and has decided to write down the story of her long years as a vampire, to decide whether it is worth continuing or whether she should destroy herself and find peace.

The author has chosen her own version of vampire vulnerabilities. These vampires can walk in daylight and tend not to kill their victims, but take what they need and move on. There is some information dumping about all this in the beginning and a tendency to change tenses when referring back to things that happened in her past, but otherwise the writing is pretty decent and has a sort of dreamy quality to it that you expect from a vampire tale.

There were a few grammatical mistakes and the changing tenses screamed 'amateur writer' at me, but the plot was actually interesting. Unfortunately it ended rather suddenly with a few things left unexplained. My Kindle version included the beginning of the next book in the series, but it didn't hold my interest.